Lightning Strike
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lightning Strike

A fun APH RP

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] Empty
PostSubject: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 am

Arthur wasn't very big on computers, really. He used them, of course. They were handy for writing essays and using the internet, when he did use the internet. He liked itunes, so he could put all his music in one place, but he prefered vinyl above itunes. However, since most of his work was on his computer, he had come in to a rather annoying situation where upon he hated his computer and hated using it but relied entirely on it in order to finish his course.

Thus, when his computer suddenly stopped working, he panicked. Each time he attempted to turn it on, he'd be presented with an error message and it would promptly turn itself back off again. This was extremely bad, since he had an essay on King Lear due on thursday with was all nice and polished and ready to go, having been worked on for the last few months, but suddenly, he couldn't access it. Yeah yeah, he knew he should make back-ups and all that, but he lost things at a rate of knots, he would loose one of those tiny usb drive thingies in a matter of minutes!

It was thus that wednesday night, he decided to get blind drunk, enough that he'd forget he had a paper due for the next morning, enough that he didn't care if he failed his course and he was kicked out. He shirked on a coat (the last one that didn't have massive holes in the back, waiting to be sewn up), grabbed his credit card and descended in the lift with one destination - The King's Arms. But, at a stroke of luck, before he left the building, he happened to glance at the notice board in the lobby.

'Having computer trouble?' He saw in big bold lettering. Why yes, in fact, he was. How conveinient, perhaps he should look at the all-knowing notice board more often. There was a telephone number and adress, so he whipped out his phone and dialed the number. 'please be in, please be in' he thought to himself. This could be his savior.

(( I hope this is okay! I can change it if you don't think it is ))
Back to top Go down
Former Estonia

Former Estonia

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 am

Eduard was probably more reliant on technology than he should be. With his computer acting strangely he felt somewhat restless. When he finally took the time to take it apart, he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it at all. Surprisingly the parts inside looked undamaged, if a little worn. In the end he chalked it up to it being an old machine and figured it was about time he spent the money replacing it.

Well, once he had the money.

Normally he would have just switched over to using his smart-phone more often but that seemed to be acting up too, turning on and off without his input and executing functions he hadn't asked it to do. Oddly enough, they always seemed relevant at the time. While checking his E-mails the browser opened up, suddenly directing him to Google maps and detailing the nearby eating establishments just as he was wondering if it was worth getting dinner. Eduard wasn't a particularly imaginative person. He didn't believe in things like magic or psychics or the supernatural and put it all down to coincidence. Dialing the people he needed to talk to? Coincidence. The radio switching off just as the song he didn't like started to come on? Coincidence. Typing out his thoughts while trying to E-mail a classmate of his? Coincidence.

Well, maybe...

At least he was able to delete it before it sent. He didn't want them knowing his true feelings. Without a piece of technology he could rely on he was feeling pretty stuck. It was too long to wait before his parents sent him his monthly allowance, but that had to cover rent and food too. Eduard had never had a steady job but back home he used to help people with odd jobs to earn a little extra money. There was something nostalgic about tacking up the flyer on the notice board, a little dogeared after being carried home from the library but legible none the less. Even if Eduard couldn't figure what was wrong with his own computer he could probably figure out what was wrong with other peoples. He expected most of the calls to be help with installing software or asking why the computer kept blue-screening.

Back in his apartment he settled down with a warm cup of tea, surveying the neatly laid out parts of his computer and deciding which he could use and which he should throw out. When his phone rang he wasn't in any hurry to answer it. The amount of times people had called him, only to hang up before he could answer had been many so he'd slowed down, stopped panicking and figured if someone wanted to talk to him then they'd have the decency to be patient. Setting down the mug Eduard looked at the screen, noting he didn't recognise the number and wondered if someone had seen his advertisement already.

"Hello, Eduard von Bock speaking," he answered in a formal tone.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 am

Arthur waited and waited, as the phone rang. "Please answer..." He muttered to himself, fidgiting nervously. He needed his computer to be fixed, he didn't want to fail. Finally, finally, he picked up, and Arthur had to stop himself from breathing a loud sigh of relief. "Hello," He said fomally, his stiff, upper class education kicking in. "I saw your flyer in the lobby, I'm Arthur Kirkland, from floor 5, I was wondering if I could get some assistance, my computer is acting up. Soon as possible, please." He said, making his way back up the stairs. "I'm flat 28,"

He was pleased, that he could possibly find someone to fix his computer, and he hoped that it would work out for the best. He would probably throw a fit if he had to replace his computer or wipe all his files, since all his work for the semester was filed on there. Sure, he had paper copies in a folder in a bookcase, but it was easier to print them out and be able to edit them without typing them back up. The thing is, if Arthur threw a fit in this funny state he was in right now, chances are, he would burst a water main or something.

He pressed the phone to his ear using his shoulder as he picked out his keys, opening the door and going in, trying to neaten up a bit. He didn't like mess, usually, but there sometimes was a bit of it, he didn't keep everything neat all the time, and there was always books in piles around the floor. He made sure there was an easy path to the computer and no papers around the computer either.
Back to top Go down
Former Estonia

Former Estonia

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 am

Eduard listened carefully to the other man, nothing the room number and floor. He didn't really have anything planned for the evening, he could probably come right away.

"What seems to be the problem?" he asked in a vaguely curious tone. Sure he could just see when he was there but if he knew in advance then he could gather the necessary tools and start to figure out the problem. If he got there and it was one he couldn't solve it would be pretty embarrassing, not to mention bad for his reputation. If people said he wasn't as good as he thought then it would surely destroy him.

"I can probably take a look sometime tonight," he noted as an afterthought. A speedy delivery would surely look good on him too.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

"Well it keeps restarting on me. I turn it on and it gives an error message before turning right back off. I think it may be the fans, but I'm not too sure, it could also be a virus or something. If you could just have a look at it, I'd be really greatful." He was very relieved, he hoped it wasn't a very difficult problem to solve and he was just inept. Though he hated being wrong, he knew he was awful with computers and he didn't really like them anyway.

Arthur nodded. "Sometime tonight would be ideal. I'll be in all evening, so come by whenevere you have time." He said. He'd probably do some knitting, maybe watch a few episodes of Dr Who from the box set he'd gotten for christmas. "Thank you, I'll see you soon, I hope," And he hung up, placing the phone on the side before grabbing his knitting. As he passed, he patted the computer monitor. "Looks like you'll be getting fixed at last." And settled down in front of the TV to continue with his gloves.
Back to top Go down
Former Estonia

Former Estonia

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:39 am

Eduard nodded along, not that Arthur could see. It seemed like a fairly standard problem, not one that he'd need any tools for. For a while he sat debating whether he should go right away or wait. If he went now then that would obviously be good, quick service but he didn't know if that appeared too needy. Could you be too needy if you were providing a service? Arthur had just said sometime tonight but maybe one time was batter than another. By the time he'd finished his tea Eduard figured he might as well just go.

Floor five, room twenty-eight.

He was pretty sure that was the room, at least that's what was written on the slip of paper in his pocket. Rapping at the door he quickly made some last minute adjustments to straighten himself out, not that he was un-presentable to begin with.

"Hello, I'm Eduard von Bock. I'm here to fix your computer," he greeted when the door was finally opened.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Arthur had not long been working on his gloves when he heard a knock at the door. He placed them down on the sofa (hopefully he wouldn't sit on them later, again). "Hello?" He opened the door and smiled. "Ah, Mr Von Bock, good to meet you." He said politely, holding out his hand to shake. He'd been raised to be polite, so even though this man was, to Arthur's surprise, probably younger than him. But then, the young generation today were so good with computers. "Do come in." He stepped to the side, waving him in.

"Let me show you to the computer, I hope you can fix it easily. I really need to access my files." He walked towards the bedroom, where his computer was set up. He'd made sure to tidy up, and he'd hoped it wasn't too messy. He rarely had people in his house, let alone his bedroom, and he was worried about being judged. "Sorry about the mess." He said arbitrarily. "Would you like something to drink, tea or coffee?" He suggested. He wanted to be a good host, even if Eduard was there just to fix his computer.
Back to top Go down
Former Estonia

Former Estonia

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:06 am

Eduard gladly took the hand that was offered to him and gave it a firm shake. The key to a good business was a good first impression he'd always been told.
"It's good to meet you too," he replied, accepting the offer inside and glancing around, just getting a feel for the place. It was a little cluttered but not totally messy. It was clear from the way the books had been shifted that a path had been cleared for him.

Being lead into the bedroom he politely expressed that the mess didn't bother him. the computer he was to work on seemed fairly basic, nothing too old, nothing too new. And if it was what he thought it was then he'd be out and paid fairly quickly.

"Would you like something to drink, tea or coffee?"
"No thank-you. This hopefully won't take too long," Eduard explained, inching towards the computer. Before he'd even bent down to turn it on it flickered to life, whirring and clicking as it loaded. The error that Arthur had told him about displayed clearly. Eduard moved to sit down, a little perplexed by the sudden boot up. The moment he touched the keyboard the screen ran down all manner of execution codes and in a matter of seconds the desktop appeared, seemingly in perfect working order.

Eduard just sat there a bit stunned, maybe it was just a lucky coincidence and the error would have sorted itself out anyway but there was something about it that still made him wary.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 9:11 am

"Alright. I'll be in the kitchen anyway." He smiled politey. Arthur turned to the door for a moment, he'd quite like to have a cup of tea himself, and he needed to find his wallet, he hoped it wasn't that expensive. He just happened to glance around before he left and... it was fixed? It looked like it was."Oh... that was fast." He blinked. "Is it fixed already?" Apparently, Arthur was really inept when it came to computers, had it even been broken. "Do you know what's wrong with it?" He asked.

She went back over to the computer, looking over Eduard's shoulder, a bit puzzled.
Back to top Go down
Former Estonia

Former Estonia

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:05 am

Eduard still stared at the screen as he spoke, a puzzled expression on his face.
"I'm not sure what was wrong. It seemed to work itself out," he stated.

It was all quite confusing. He ran a few basic commands, checked with Arthur if the files he needed were still there, all it all it seemed in perfect working order. It was good, of course but Eduard felt bad asking for payment for a job he didn't actually do.

Sighing to himself he almost wished that there was something wrong with it so that he could start saving towards a new computer for himself. No sooner had the thought occurred, the system appeared to crash. The screen blocked in solid blue with a number of white lines of code running across it. Eduard looked even more perplexed. He hadn't been doing anything when it crashed and all the sudden coincidences were starting to get to him more and more.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 am

"Oh... wow." Arthur blinked. Maybe he had been computer illiterate enough that he had been doing something wrong all this time, "I guess I'm just bad with computers." He murmured. They checked the files and Arthur was very relieved to see that it was right where he'd left it.

"I should print that while I still have the chance." He said, "Let me just go get some paper." He said, walking off to find the pack of printer paper he'd bought a while ago. He was not going to take any more chances. After a few moments of rifling, he found it and turned back to Eduard. "So it should be fine to pr- Shit." It had suddenly crashed, the familar blue screen glaring away at him as if to say 'you'll never get to print out your essay'. He came to the conclusion that technology must hate him.
Back to top Go down
Former Estonia

Former Estonia

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 am

Eduard was feeling less anxious about the fact that he was doing a poor job for his client and more curious about the things that had been happening to him. Normally he got along well with technology, he knew how to make it work and all kinds of ways to make it efficient but lately it had been acting out on him. Like some kind of rebellion for all those years of enslavement.

There was something though, some kind of sense in the back of his mind. Like an extra limb that he'd never really had.

Not that he wanted to think about limbs right now...

Wait.

Remembering the time that Halimeda came to visit, how the limbs he had somehow grown seemed to retract when he willed them hard enough. With that phantom limb he reached out and did his best to will some kind of function, some kind of normality. The screen went blank again and immediately started rebooting. It wasn't long before the normal desktop was up again. Hesitantly he lifted a finger to point, the tip millimetres away from the screen hovering just over the cursor. As he traced a path over to the documents folder it willingly followed. Eduard didn't move the mouse at all, his other hand was firmly placed on his right leg. Dragging the cursor to rest over the folder he thought for a moment and then snapped his fingers, opening the folder and listing all the unharmed documents.

There was some kind of mix between disbelief and enthrallment swirling in his brain. He barely remembered Arthur was there at all.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 am

Arthur fell silent, watching the other began to work. He'd suddenly gone still, staring at the screen. When, all of a sudden, the cursor started to move. Arhtur stepped back, shocked for a moment, and then looked over him, making sure that he wasn't actually touching the computer and it was just a trick of the light that it seemed he wasn't. But no, Eduard was just staring at the computer, static.

Arthur's hand shot out, in front of Eduard's face, to see if it would break his concentration. "What the bloody hell...?" He murmured, staring at the screen. "What was that?!" He snapped, a little more confrontational, surprised and a little afraid. It reminded him of something, of the way he felt around water. The way it almost became of an extension of his body. His heart beat nervously, was it the same?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]   Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard] Empty

Back to top Go down

Error 109 [Arthur and Eduard]
Page 1 of 1